Quote of the DayNews of Note
"Ennoblement is earned by merit
in the American Army."
-- Major Josiah Bunting
Operation Iraqi FreedomEx- General: Iraq a 'Nightmare' for U.S.Other Military News Kuwait plans Patriot missiles deal with U.S.: agencyWorldwide Wackos
Khamenei Calls for Muslim Boycott of U.S. ConferenceIran's top leader labels effort 'deception'Venezuela Blocks Performance of Anti-Chavez SingerPolitics / GovernmentLawmakers Trade Barbs Over NASCAR VaccinationsRice pledges support to Russian rights activistsU.S. officials head to Turkey over genocide disputeChinese watch political jockeying from sidelinesU.S. officials head to Turkey over genocide disputeIn the Courts / Crime and Punishment / Law and Order Mexico Busts 25 Federal Cops in Corruption SweepMissing Indiana Student's Car Found in RiverTexas Triple Murderer Plunges to Death After StandoffEx-Lacrosse Coach Sues DukeO.J. Robbery Suspect to PleadAdventures in Political Correctness / Intolerance on ParadeBathed in Green for Eid-al-Fitr
- PHOTOS (The Empire State Building lit up for Ramadan...does this make anyone else nauseous?)U.N. News
Junta Mocks World in Staged RallyMedia in the Media / Bloggers in the News / Watching the WebSpammers Get Five Years for Pornographic E-mailsNews from My Neck of the WoodsViolent Burglar Proves an EarfulFox NewsRed Sox Dominate Indians, 10-3, in ALCS OpenerRockies Nudge Diamondbacks, 3-2, for 2-0 NLCS LeadSchool Bus Crash Kills Two in WisconsinReuters: Top NewsBali bombers will not appeal for clemency: reportAccord on Ukraine government put offSri Lanka rejects U.N. rights monitoring missionThailand says will not take action against MyanmarFour die and 50 hurt in Bangladesh train crashThe pill doesn't boost breast cancer death riskOverweight kids at risk for asthma hospitalizationHollywood honors Julia RobertsStocks face earnings and "Black Monday"Oil hits record $84 on supply concernsBiogen puts itself up for saleGM shares surge on savings viewTech deal news and retail spending lift stocks
- Video"Mezz" debt a hot itemGE CFO not losing sleep over slowdownBEA rejects $6.7 billion Oracle offerKohn says Fed policy must be "nimble"Solid sales ease recession jittersWellink says ABN break-up should not be delayed: reportBusiness Books Author plots cure to America's oil addictionCEO option grants seen harmfulAP World NewsBush-Democrats budget fight up nextLawsuits possible from Va. Tech shootingIraqi Shiite leader seeks US-Iran talksTense moments after boot camp acquittalRockies edge D'backs 3-2; lead NLCS 2-0Big Two help Red Sox down Indians 10-3Raids begin in Anna Nicole Smith probeUS-Russia missile defense talks failEx-Idol contestant Clark pleads guiltyMom charged with buying Pa. teen weaponsThompson backs one-time rival GiulianiLoss of leg doesn't stop hunting dogMitchell may name names in steroids case5 trucks on fire on I-5 in Calif.Iranian-American back from Tehran prisonMistrial for former TSU presidentDefense builds in pregnant woman's deathGuests for the Sunday TV news shows2 dead, 9 injured in Wis. bus accidentMychal Bell of the `Jena 6' back in jailCENTCOM: News ReleasesUPDATE: KILLED TERRORISTS RESPONSIBLE FOR IMAM’S ASSASSINATION ARE POSITIVELY IDENTIFIEDVIDEO AVAILABLE: OPERATION NETS 10, DESTROYS TWO BOOBY-TRAPPED HOUSESCOALITION FORCES TARGET AL-QAEDA IN IRAQ SENIOR LEADERSUSJFCOMJoint Knowledge Online now available to wider audience
- podcastMore about Joint Knowledge OnlineUnified Endeavor 08-1 prepares soldiers for Afghanistan deploymentSenate confirms next commanderNominee to be the next USJFCOM commander testifies before Senate Armed Services CommitteePresident nominates Marine general as new commander Multi-National Force-IraqStryker Cavalry ridding Baghdad of bombs, ‘bad guys’Coalition general notes progress in building Iraqi Air ForceAirmen ensure safety for troops, citizensReconciliation begins in MuqdadiyaScouts assist in propane distribution (Arab Jabour)Trial date set for officer charged with aiding enemyCoalition forces disrupt terrorist operations; one killed, 17 detainedIraqi boy’s road to recovery ends with successful surgery (Hollendia)15th Sustainment Brigade Soldiers attacked (Baghdad)DefenseLinkLeaders Agree to Meet Again
- PhotosMissile Defense Tops Agenda
- PhotosGates Arrives in Moscow Photos: Gates Visits LondonU.K. Talks Cover Iraq, AfghanistanResolution May Impact U.S., TurkeyGates Travels to LondonForces Work to Halt Cycle of ViolenceLocal Citizens Vastly Improve SecurityAir Strike Claims Terrorists, CiviliansGeneral Notes Progress in Iraqi Air ForceReservist Receives Silver Star for Valor Troops Seize Weapons, Thwart InsurgentsSoldiers Learn Basic Humvee MaintenanceNew Iraqi Air Force Continues to GrowStryker Cavalry Sweeps Baghdad for BombsU.S. Airmen Help Secure Baghdad StreetsWelders Develop Up-Armored Truck for IraqisReaper Aids Commanders on Battlefield
- VideoGuard Works to Bring Back SoldiersCrash Victims Buried Together in ArlingtonRoughead Becomes Chief of Naval OpsPlan to Help Balance Active Army, GuardMedic Saves Lives Officer Makes Big Splash
- StoryTroops to Get Thank YousGroup to Send Goodies'Neighbors' Affect TroopsDefendAmericaBLOGGERS' ROUNDTABLE with U.S. Army Col. John RisCassi
Soldiers Sweep Baghdad for Bombs - StoryNEWS UPDATES
Missile Defense Tops Agenda - StoryON THE GROUND
More Than 70 Graduate From Air Force School - Story
Iraqi Soldiers Learn Basic Humvee Maintenance - Story
Reapers Aid Commanders in Afghanistan - Story
Welders Develop Up-Armored Iraqi Police Truck - StoryIN IRAQAirmen Help Secure Law and Order in BaghdadSoldiers Continue Fight Against InsurgentsCluster Pump Stations to Boost Oil ProductionMarines, Iraqis Work to Disrupt Enemy ActivityProgram Molds Elite Iraqi WarfightersHospital Renovation Nears CompletionIN AFGHANISTAN Mentor Team Helps Train Afghan Police OfficersRED HORSE Team Beats Construction OddsIN SOUTHWEST ASIA Maintenance Workers Keep Aircraft FlyingBACKGROUND
IRAQRenewal In IraqIraq: Security, StabilityFact Sheet: Progress and Work AheadReport: Strategy for Victory in Iraq Iraq Daily UpdateThis Week in Iraq Multinational Force IraqState Dept. Weekly Iraq Report 'Boots on the Ground' Audio ArchiveWar on Terror Reconstruction Report Iraq ReconstructionMapsAFGHANISTANAfghanistan UpdateMapsWAR ON TERRORISMFact Sheet: Budget RequestFact Sheet: Terror Plots DisruptedWaging and Winning the War on TerrorTerrorism TimelineTerrorism Knowledge BaseWeatherAfghanistanBost/Laskar Ghurian Herat Kabul QandaharGermanyAnsbach Aschaffenburg Berlin Berlin-Tempelhof Berlin/Schonefeld BremerhavenDarmstadt Frankfurt Frankfurt/Main Freiburg/Breisgau GarmischGarmisch-Partenkirchen Geilenkirchen Gelnhausen Giessen KitzingenHanau Am Main Heidelberg Mainz Mannheim Nurnberg Stuttgart TrierWiesbaden WurzburgGitmoGuamAgana Agana Heights Agat Andersen AFB Asan BarrigadaIraqAl Azamiyah Al Basrah Al Hillah Al Karkh Al Kazimiyah Al KutAn Nasiriyah Baghdad Baqubah Mosul Najaf Nineveh Tall KayfJapanKadena Air Base Okinawa Tokyo YokohamaNational Hurricane CenterToday in History
1775 - The Continental Congress orders construction of a naval fleet.
1792 - Washington lays the cornerstone of the Executive Mansion (White House).
1812 - The Battle of Queenston Heights.
1843 - B'nai B'rith is founded in NY.
1845 - Texas ratifies a state constitution.
1860 - 1st aerial photo taken in US (from a balloon), Boston
1943 - Italy declares war on Germany, its former ally.
1944 - The U.S. 1st Army begins the Battle of Aachen.
1947 - "Kukla, Fran & Ollie" premieres.
1953 - The burglar alarm is patented.
1957 - The German Democratic Republic recalls the East Mark and issues new currency.
1964 - The Voskhod-1 crew returns.
1969 - Soyuz-8 is launched
1972 - An Aeroflot jet crashes in a large pond outside Moscow, killing 176; a plane carrying a team of Uruguayan rugby players crashes on its way from Uruguay to Chile; the survivors are rescued on 12/23.
1978 - Tiros-N, the U.S.'s first third-generation weather satellite, is launched.
1981 - Vice President Hosni Mubarak is elected president of Egypt.
1982 - The IOC restores two gold medals from the 1912 Olympics to Jim Thorpe.
1984 - The STS 41-G mission lands at the Kennedy Space Center.
1987 - In the Persian Gulf, the U.S. Navy makes the first military use of trained dolphins.
1991 - Blue Jay Cito Gaston becomes the first manager ejected in a playoff game.Birthdays1769
- Horace H. Hayden, co-founder of the first dental college1909
- Herblock (Herbert L. Block), political cartoonist1920
- Nipsey Russell, comedian (Car 54, Barefoot in the Park)1925
- Margaret Thatcher, British PM (1979-90)1961
- Jerry Rice, NFL receiver (San Francisco 49ers, Oakland Raiders)Passings
- Claudius Roman Emperor1795
- William Prescott, American Revolutionary soldier1974
- Ed Sullivan, TV host (Ed Sullivan Show)1979
- Clarence Muse, actor (Sam-Casablanca)1988
- Mike Venezia, jockey, dies in a 5th-race fall at the Belmont Race Track in NY1989
- Jay Ward, animator (Rocky & His Friends)Reported Missing in Action1966
Borden, Murray L., USAF
(NC); F4C shot down (w/Meadows)
Meadows, Eugene T., USAF
(NC); F4C shot down (w/Borden) remains returned November, 19941967
Miller, Edison Wainright, USMC
(IA); F4B shot down (pilot, w/Warner), released by DRV February, 1973 (injured); later accused of collaboration, sued fellow POW's who spoke against him when he was running for office (associated w/ Jane Fonda, Tom Hayden); he lost the suit
Warner, James H., USMC
(MI); F4B shot down (Backseater, w/Miller), released by DRV March, 19731968
Hunt, James D., USN
(MT); A6A shot down (bombardier/navigator, w/Orell)
Masterson, Michael J., USAF
(WA); bailed out of A1G after mechanical problems
Orell, Quinlen R., USN
(OH); A6A shot down (pilot, w/Hunt)1969
Getchell, Paul E., USAF
(ME); B57 shot down (co-pilot)1970
Chestnut, Joseph L., USAF
(TN); T28 disappeared while on mission, remains returned / ID'd July, 1995
Labels: Headlines, History