IRAQ WAR TODAY
Keep Your Helmet On!




Be A Part of a Tribute to Fallen Heroes - Help Build the Fallen Soldiers' Bike
Help support the families of our deployed Heroes - Visit Soldiers' Angels' Operation Outreach
Help Our Heroes Help Others - Click Here to visit SOS: KIDS
Nominate your Hero for IWT's "Hero of the Month" - click here for details!
Search Iraq War Today only

Thursday, May 17, 2007

'New Guy' in Iraq Adjusts to New Life

Scanning his sector, Pvt. Destry Mulloy, 1-12 Combined Arms Battalion, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, pulls guard on the roof of his compound in Khan Bani Sa’ad, Iraq, May 12. Mulloy was deployed to Iraq almost immediately after basic training and has had to quickly adjust to his new life. (U.S. Army photo by Pfc. Ben Fox, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division Public Affairs)


FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SR# 051307-04
May 13, 2007

By Pfc. Ben Fox
3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division

KHAN BANI SA’AD, Iraq (May 13, 2007) – Brotherhood – it is a major factor in keeping units together before they deploy so that Soldiers can learn to trust each other. It doesn’t always work out that way though.

Pvt. Destry Mulloy is a new Soldier who went to basic training and was then immediately deployed to Iraq.

He shipped out to basic combat training Sept. 28, 2006 and graduated January 26. After spending a short time with the rear detachment at Fort Hood, Texas, Mulloy deployed to Iraq March 2.

Now, Mulloy is trying to fit into a brotherhood that has spent the last eight months in Iraq together, but he tries to look at things with a positive light.

“I had the chance to actually be in the field,” said Mulloy. “When I get back I will have a (Combat Infantry Badge) and combat experience, which will be better for promotion points.”

His new brothers at the unit treat him like the “new guy” at times, he said, but for the most part they try to help him out.

“You get the natural little bit of jokes because you’re the new guy,” said Mulloy.

Not only is Mulloy the newest guy to the unit, he is also one of the youngest.

“I turned 18 right before I graduated basic training,” he said, as he talked about having to learn many things on his own.

“A lot of the stuff I didn’t know, I picked up as I go,” he said.

For the most part, though, Mulloy has had help from his leaders as well as his peers.

“Everybody here has experience and they kind of make sure you’re not doing something stupid,” he said.

Sgt. Patrick Miller, Mulloy’s NCO, said, “It’s probably pretty tough for him because he came over here and didn’t know any of us.”

Miller tries to help Mulloy out as much as possible, but also encourages him to learn from his peers.

“I’ve taught him as much as I can,” said Miller.

Mulloy said Miller treats him well and tries to help him out by disciplining him.

“He gets onto me every once in a while… but that’s my fault,” said Mulloy. “He keeps me squared away.”

Miller said he tries to be understanding though that Mulloy doesn’t understand everything that goes on yet, and that it will take some time before he does.

“I learned so much in those couple of months that I had before I went to Iraq,” said Miller. “He didn’t really get that time.”

Mulloy knew he was first heading over when he arrived at his duty station.

“They officially told me when I got to Hood,” said Mulloy, who previously anticipated the deployment before being officially notified.

“I knew I was going to Cav. and Cav. was already over here,” he said.

Mulloy said his initial reaction to his hasty deployment was disappointment, but he tries to look at the brighter side now.

“At the moment I thought it sucked, but now I don’t regret it,” said Mulloy. “I’ll have plenty of time to spend when I get back.

“If I were to stay in garrison, I would’ve actually known the guys a little better before I came over here,” he said.

“It hasn’t affected me so far, not knowing the guys when I got here,” Mulloy said. “Plus I’m over here getting on the job training.”

Mulloy’s parents’ initial reaction was shock, he said, but they understood that he had to go.

“It surprised them a little bit that I was coming over here so quickly, but they were already adjusted to the fact that I would be going sooner or later,” he said.

As for Mulloy, he has accepted his deployment with a sense of duty.

“I joined the Army, and I joined the infantry for a reason,” he said. “I knew Iraq was going on, so I knew pretty much that I was coming here.”


Pvt. Destry Mulloy, 1-12 Combined Arms Battalion, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, pulls guard on top of his compound in Khan Bani Sa’ad, Iraq, May 12. Mulloy was deployed in the middle of his unit’s deployment and has quickly adjusted to life with his platoon. (U.S. Army photo by Pfc. Ben Fox, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division Public Affairs)

Labels: , , , , , , ,

|

nocashfortrash.org