IRAQ WAR TODAY
Keep Your Helmet On!




Be A Part of a Tribute to Fallen Heroes - Help Build the Fallen Soldiers' Bike
Help support the families of our deployed Heroes - Visit Soldiers' Angels' Operation Outreach
Help Our Heroes Help Others - Click Here to visit SOS: KIDS
Nominate your Hero for IWT's "Hero of the Month" - click here for details!
Search Iraq War Today only

Thursday, November 23, 2006

A Marine Corps Thanksgiving

From Seamus:


To all Marines, FMF Corpsman, Family Members & Friends of the Corps.

On this Thanksgiving, while Marines and other service members are deployed in harm's way, I would like to share excerpts from an email sent by a deployed Lance Corporal last Thanksgiving which both celebrates the occasion and shows once again why Marines are the best!:

I, as most would have thought, was expecting a very homesick Thanksgiving. But, although I wish I could have been home, my Thanksgiving was filled with motivation and inspiration. As we returned to base and our convoy approached the first gate to Camp Fallujah I was in shock because a Marine Corps Major was standing post, along with a First Sergeant. I reported to the Major what convoy we were and how many packs we were carrying. He told me to proceed, and to have a Happy Thanksgiving. As we came to the second gate, a Marine Captain and Sergeant Major were standing that post. There was not a PFC or LCpl to be found. None of the posts had young Marines at them; officers and Staff NCOs manned them all. The command had decided the young Marines were going to have the night off to get some rest and good chow. It was unbelievable, and a wonderful sight. The leadership had taken care of the younger Marines. This filled me with a tremendous pride I can't describe with words. I am so honored to be a part of an organization like the Corps.

When I went to Thanksgiving chow, the I MEF Commanding General and Sergeant Major were serving chow. The amazing part was they were so enthusiastic about it. Everyone was in a great mood, and ready to take on anything. It makes you think that if a three-star general in the United States Marine Corps can serve turkey to a bunch of 18-20 year old Lance Corporals, then you can suck up whatever you have to do. So, as I went to bed, I felt very thankful and indeed blessed for a great life. Tomorrow, I am sure, will be full of fighting and disaster, along with the added stress of little sleep and cold days and even colder nights. But tonight it's Thanksgiving, and everything is okay.

One Motivated Lance Corporal,
Jessica

The author of this letter was Lance Corporal Jessica Kane from 4th CAG HQ S-6

More stories in
EVERY DAY IS A HOLIDAY, EVERY MEAL IS A FEAST: A Fourth Book of Marine Corps Sea Stories and Politically Incorrect Common Sense
|

nocashfortrash.org