IRAQ WAR TODAY
Keep Your Helmet On!




Be A Part of a Tribute to Fallen Heroes - Help Build the Fallen Soldiers' Bike
Help support the families of our deployed Heroes - Visit Soldiers' Angels' Operation Outreach
Help Our Heroes Help Others - Click Here to visit SOS: KIDS
Nominate your Hero for IWT's "Hero of the Month" - click here for details!
Search Iraq War Today only

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Heck and Heroes in Philly

I'm travelling this week (watch for a "Where Am I" post tomorrow). My flight from home was delayed, and then my flight from Philly was delayed....and delayed again...and delayed again...and delayed again...eventually, it was apparent that driving to where I was going was going to be quicker than flying. Before I went to pick up my car, I went outside to smoke. Frustrated and tired, I needed to take a bit of a breather.

That's when I saw the Soldier, sitting on a bench nearby. I went over to say hello. He was coming home for a month before heading back to the Sandbox. He noticed my ever-present 1st Cav baseball cap, and I told him I wore it in tribute to my first Soldiers' Angels adoptee, a 1st Cav Scout. I explained the t-shirt I wore, my Soldiers' Angels shirt. I told him we'd be more than happy to spoil him when he went back.

He told me he had been approached by a lady in the airport, who had given him $10 and thanked him. He said he still didn't know what to do when people said thanks. He said, the way Heroes often do, that he wasn't a Hero - the ones that didn't come home were the Heroes. I told him that he was indeed a hero - and he was doing so much just by being there - so that I didn't have to. I told him that I got to stay home, safe, because he was out there. I said there were so many people in this country who would never be willing to do anything for the freedoms they enjoy. He said, "Well, at least you're doing something."

We talked about Ramadi, and how, once home, he still reacted when he heard loud noises. We talked about the waiting around that is a part of a Soldier's life. We talked about how Heroes blow off steam. We talked about Haji cigarettes and videos, and how he was going back to Baghdad this time, where at least there was something to do during downtime. We talked about REMFs, and how people who aren't there can't understand the reality of war. I told him that though I would love to have our Heroes home right now, I believed that what they were doing in Iraq was important. He nodded.

I gave him information on Soldiers' Angels, my email, and the address of this blog. I hope he stops by. When I reluctantly bid him good-bye, I shook his hand and told him to stay safe.

Sometimes, going through heck in an airport isn't so bad after all. Thanks to a Hero who made me grateful for airport delays.
|

nocashfortrash.org