IRAQ WAR TODAY
Keep Your Helmet On!




Be A Part of a Tribute to Fallen Heroes - Help Build the Fallen Soldiers' Bike
Help support the families of our deployed Heroes - Visit Soldiers' Angels' Operation Outreach
Help Our Heroes Help Others - Click Here to visit SOS: KIDS
Nominate your Hero for IWT's "Hero of the Month" - click here for details!
Search Iraq War Today only

Friday, July 14, 2006

Our Hero...

The "My Hero" posts are always among my favorites. I love being able to give Heroes' families an opportunity, however small, to show their pride and love for their Heroes.

Rarely, though, do I get a chance to post a picture of one of my personal heroes, so permit me to revel in it just a little. To be truthful, ALL our troops are my Heroes, but there are some that I am privileged to be able to thank personally.

As part of my work with Soldiers' Angels, I am the Co-Leader for the SOS: KIDS teams and the Operation Outreach team. My wonderful Co-Leaders are Dave (SOS: KIDS) and Vicki (Operation Outreach), and we've got dedicated teams of Angels working with both projects.

SOS: KIDS is the program linked at the top of this blog; it that helps support the efforts of deployed Heroes to improve the lives of the kids in their AO.

Operation Outreach (webpage coming soon) works closer to home. One of the realities of deployment is that it isn't just the troop who is affected - his or her family is sacrificing too. Such is the case with Dennis T--------, a Hero who has been away from his family more than he's been home in recent years. When Dennis submitted his name to Soldiers' Angels, he noted how trying his deployments have been - on both him and his family. He also noted that he loved his job, and was proud to serve his country. I contacted him to see how we could help. The great Angels on our Team, and other great Angels, have sent cards, letters, gifts, and a gift card to Dennis' young family. He emailed me this morning and said,

"I don`t know what to say im at a loss for words I don`t know how to thank you enough for the things you have done to help my family... Being apart is hard and it is great to have people that understand that the famlies of soldiers go through as much if not more than we do....Thanks for everything.."

Dennis also sent these wonderful pictures, and has allowed me to share them with you.


Dennis and his family - his wife Heather, and his children, Rebecca and Dennis III.

Rebecca's proud Daddy - is this a cute picture, or what?

Dennis' little daredevil - Dennis III.

Dennis and his brother Kyle, both serving in Iraq (click photo for larger version) -and both are Soldiers' Angels adoptees! Of his younger brother, Dennis says, "He is a great kid he will go far in anything he chooses to do."

A huge HOOAHH and THANK YOU to all of the Angels who have helped with supporting this Hero's family so far. If you would like to send a message of support to Dennis and / or his family, or would like to help support the continuing efforts of Operation Outreach, please email me at iraqwartoday@sbcglobal-DOT-net, or sa-outreach@sbcglobal-DOT-net.

Thank you to all who work to support our Heroes and their families.

Dennis, thank you so much for letting me post these photos!! It is an honor to help support you and your beautiful family in whatever way we are able. Anytime, anywhere. Just a very small way to thank you and your family for all you sacrifice for all of us. You are all Heroes.

You and your brother keep your helmets on - take care, and stay safe.

|

nocashfortrash.org