IRAQ WAR TODAY
Keep Your Helmet On!




Be A Part of a Tribute to Fallen Heroes - Help Build the Fallen Soldiers' Bike
Help support the families of our deployed Heroes - Visit Soldiers' Angels' Operation Outreach
Help Our Heroes Help Others - Click Here to visit SOS: KIDS
Nominate your Hero for IWT's "Hero of the Month" - click here for details!
Search Iraq War Today only

Friday, June 09, 2006

Natalia's First Post - Deployment, Part I

As you all know by now, I've asked our Hero Maxwell's wife Natalia to try her hand at blogging. One of the things I asked her to share is what it's like to be a military spouse. Many times, people forget that deployment, and military service, is a family affair. Here's her first post - please be sure to comment!

From Natalia:
Let me start by telling you a little about Maxwell's deployment (part 1)

He received orders of deployment OIF via mail on [summer 2005] to report on [two weeks later], so that only gave us two week notice to prepare mentally, financially and emotionally. I was 5 months pregnant and we were both working, so our free time was spent taking care of ID cards, power of attorney, bank accounts, etc.

We didn't really have time to realize what was happening, all I remember was being scared.

Time to say goodbye, that day had arrived. On our way to [--------] international airport, we didn't say much, I remember just holding hands the whole time in the car. Once at the airport, we hugged and kissed until his name was called overhead, he was the only one missing in the plane and wow!!!! that's when it hit me, "what am I going to do now?"

I cried while watching the plane take off, stared at the sky until I could not see it anymore and had the saddest and loneliest drive back home.

This is the first time I talk or write about this with every little detail, and every memory came back like if it happened today. Obviously this all I can say for today before I start crying.

to be continued................................


NOTES from Pam:

* Certain details will be edited to protect security concerns or family privacy. My edits appear in brackets [].

* Maxwell's status as the blog's "adopted" Hero, and Natalia's posts about her experiences, should NOT be construed as their endorsement of any opinion I post on this blog, or representative of any policy or position of the U.S. Army, the Department of Defense, or any other government entity. This is merely a way to allow readers to learn more about what military families experience, and to offer an opportunity to support a deployed Hero and his family.

* To learn what you can do to help, click on Maxwell's picture over on the left, or go here. To adopt "your own" Hero, visit Soldiers' Angels.
|

nocashfortrash.org