IRAQ WAR TODAY
Keep Your Helmet On!




Be A Part of a Tribute to Fallen Heroes - Help Build the Fallen Soldiers' Bike
Help support the families of our deployed Heroes - Visit Soldiers' Angels' Operation Outreach
Help Our Heroes Help Others - Click Here to visit SOS: KIDS
Nominate your Hero for IWT's "Hero of the Month" - click here for details!
Search Iraq War Today only

Friday, June 02, 2006

A Marine Tells it Like it Is

Marine Corps Veteran John Granville attended a Memorial Day service. Lance Corporal Granville lost both legs in Vietnam, so when he was mentioned by name (albeit without his permission), one would have thought it would be in the context of honoring those who sacrifice so much for all of us.

Not so.

The Memorial Day commemoration turned inexplicably into an anti-war speech. And LCpl Granville wasn't pleased. But don't take my word for it - he wrote a letter to the editor of the local newspaper, so you can get it straight from him (posted by permission):

This is a letter to the uninformed
On May 29th I attended the Hillcrest Cemetery Memorial Ceremony.

First of all I felt betrayed as I sat there in my wheelchair being called by name without my permission which put me in a bad light but not just myself but all who served their country. The best way we all could during the Vietnam War. I lost both my legs there.

I'm sick and tired of hearing about it was a worthless war etc. One has to examine the reasons for going to war, which I did at the time. We as troops just didn't decide "We are going there to kill people"

We did some good there also, Hey Bob, the refugees were coming from the North to the South, not the other way around. We honor the fallen, not the John Kerry's or the politicians. By the way we that were in Combat know who were not in combat. I also remember a man named Pol Pot who executed over a million people after we left Vietnam. Yes it cost something to do the right thing just like in Iraq.

Proud to have served
Would do it again.

Semper Fi
Always Faithful

LCPL John Granville


Can I get an UU-RAH?!?

A few decades ago, it was considered "OK" to do this sort of thing - to deride and insult veterans. Well it wasn't OK then, and it isn't OK now. LCPL Granville, and all those who serve in harm's way and sacrifice so much for all of us, deserve our gratitude, and our respect. I am deeply indebted to all of them, as we all are. They are the ones who keep us free.

And now it's your turn - please leave your messages for LCPL Granville in the comments section of this post, and I'll be sure to pass them along.

graphic by Doug Kidd

|

nocashfortrash.org