IRAQ WAR TODAY
Keep Your Helmet On!




Be A Part of a Tribute to Fallen Heroes - Help Build the Fallen Soldiers' Bike
Help support the families of our deployed Heroes - Visit Soldiers' Angels' Operation Outreach
Help Our Heroes Help Others - Click Here to visit SOS: KIDS
Nominate your Hero for IWT's "Hero of the Month" - click here for details!
Search Iraq War Today only

Friday, February 03, 2006

Singing to Support our Troops

I’ve told you about Cliff Knizley - the musician who, inspired by Mark Miner of Boots in Baghdad, has created “Letters to Baghdad - a tribute to our troops.” If you haven’t ordered the CD yet, you can listen to samples and order the CD at Cliff’s site (make sure you have an updated Flash Player). And Cliff is offering a special discount to all Soldiers’ Angels - he’s got a sweet Valentine’s Day deal going right now.

Email me for details on the special, and make sure you check out his music. In addition to “Boots,” Cliff’s got some other great music available at the site store. If you have trouble viewing the site, or ordering, let me know, and I'll get in touch with Cliff.

Cliff was also recently interviewed by Julia Calgiano for "Local Jukebox" (StAugustine.com - a service of the "St. Augustine Record"), and talked about what led him to create the CD. You can listen to the interview here.

Here are some other musicians who have contacted me recently to let me know about their tributes to our Heroes:

The Right Brothers - “Half Her Heart” -- The Right Brothers, conservative musicians, have done this touching tribute to our Heroes and their spouses. It’s wonderful, and available free through February 21st. Some of their other tunes are available for paid download, too.

Billy Lash and No JustUS - “Ordinary Days” -- If you’re a Soldiers’ Angel, or involved in another organization that sends letters to our troops, this is one you definitely want to hear. Make sure to peruse their other stuff.

Toni Becker - “Duty Calls” -- Toni and her husband wrote this song. Some of the lyrics - “But then the world turned a corner on a cold September morning / I hear the cry of a soldier! / Duty Calls. I'm on my way. / I'd stand between you and the enemy any day. / Duty Calls. I will defend / The honor of my nation, family, and friends.” Toni wanted to know if there was anything I could do to help get this song to the troops. Another great one. You can listen and download it here.

By way of useless trivia…I was a music major for my first half of college. I’ve written a few tunes, but I’ve got to admit that songwriting just isn’t something I’ve got a heap of aptitude for. I am in awe of those who can write songs like these.

UPDATE: Some of the links above were not working earlier - fixed them, so they should be working now. Sorry about that!
|

nocashfortrash.org