IRAQ WAR TODAY
Keep Your Helmet On!




Be A Part of a Tribute to Fallen Heroes - Help Build the Fallen Soldiers' Bike
Help support the families of our deployed Heroes - Visit Soldiers' Angels' Operation Outreach
Help Our Heroes Help Others - Click Here to visit SOS: KIDS
Nominate your Hero for IWT's "Hero of the Month" - click here for details!
Search Iraq War Today only

Friday, November 11, 2005

Veteran's Day 2005



ARLINGTON'S SACRED GROUND

In Arlington, Grandfather rests
Grandmother by his side
Rows and rows of crosses
Guard the veteran and his bride.

He died long before she did.
She would have 20 years to go
before she joined the husband
she had married long ago.

He had fought somewhere in France
In what became the first World War;
never dreaming when he slept
that time would bring even more.

His daughter married a soldier
who then became my dad
He fought in the Second War
the World had ever had.

I loved and married an airman
the father of my son;
but the Airman went to Vietnam
and left me all alone.

My son then joined the Army,
and two nephews and a niece
Have followed in their footsteps-
standing guard for Peace

Our family is serving, and
has served the World around ~
You can be sure we understand
what is meant by Sacred Ground.

©Copyright November 1997 by Christina
Updated 11/05

For
Henry A. Moore, Robert H. Phillips, Sr., Michael T. Ream,
Dustin H. Haskell, Jesse J. Haskell, Shannon M. Haskell


How We Recall
How we recall that day we swore


To serve our country to the core

That clothing issued brought a view

Of raw recruits, this showed so true

Remembered hair was cut away

This look for quite awhile would stay

Our trek before too long did show

New GI's marching, row by row

And then one day emerged a form

Each proud trained troop in uniform

We followed orders as we should

To do our best, in pride we would

Some served in peace, some went to war

Brave heroes passed through Heaven's door

We cherished friends who served with us

Great buddies all, how we'd discuss

So many thoughts will never wane

For what we shared, let closeness reign

Our bond was tight, the best to see

For when we served, this had to be

The purpose was to keep you free

God Bless the brave, deservedly

©2004 Roger J. Robicheau



WE ARE SOOO PROUD TO BE AMERICANS

THANK YOU ALL WHO HAVE SERVED - PAST and PRESENT

Jerry and Ann in Oregon

GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS




To All of Our Heroes -

A hearty THANK YOU and GOD BLESS YOU ALL who now serve, and have served, so nobly in defense of our country. From private to general, you have all made us proud to be Americans, and so proud to be your countrymen. You truly are the best of us. On your special day, we salute you all. Thank you for your service to our country, and for your example as citizens.

Dana in Washington state
A Soldier's Angel


Thank you all, past, present, and future Vets....

You are ALL in my heart and thoughts everyday, to me, everyday is Veterans Day....

To may father, I love and miss you, for your fight in WWII and surviving your internment in a German POW Camp,

To My Uncle "Red" for surviving the Bataan Death March before you left our world while on the Hell Ship Arisan Maru....

This is yours and all Veterans Day,

But let us all remember each day what you have given us and others around the world in the name of FREEDOM,

If it was not for you and so many others with the same Heart, Pride, and Honor that are gone and fighting this day, we here at home could not have and enjoy all this world has to offer, along with the daily comforts we all take for granted......

Thank You .....
Rose F.


Dear Heroes:
I would like to take this opportunity to say a BIG THANK YOU to all those who have served and are currently serving. Your service and dedication is greatly appreciated and not taken for granted.

AMERICA REMEMBERS YOU!!!

GOD BLESS YOU ALL

Donna Zehner
Proud Army Mom
Proud Member of Soldier's Angels

A Veteran's Day War Story
Because a handful of us spent a great deal of time helping a local orphanage in Diyarbakir (most of the kids were survivors of the PKK terrorists, and their families had been killed), some of the locals wanted to repay us by taking us to ancient ruins and monuments that were thousands of years old. We even got to go to cavemen caves along the inner ridge of one mountain. Ancient kings' tombs, castles that were not hundreds, but thousands of years old. Ancient walls that wrapped around the mountains, no telling how old they were. Amazing stuff for an anthropologist wannabe (that would be me).

Well we went on this trek, hiked over two large mountains to get to some amazing ruins and caves. Meanwhile, back at the small village where we left the bus, our illustrious chefs (hah!) fixed us a very nice lunch, several coolers full of ice, and sodas. It was a several hour hike one way, and on the way back, we kept getting dehydrated and would have to stop, rest and try to rehydrate. By the time we got back to the bus, we had run out of the water in our canteens and raced on the bus for a hint of shade, and those coolers at the back of the bus.

They were empty! ALL the sodas AND sandwiches were gone! We looked out the windows of the bus, and saw all the villagers, looking at us curiously drinking our nice, cold sodas, and we almost had a riot on our hands. They left most of the ice, that had melted into cold water, and we were dunking our heads in the coolers to get some relief. We told the bus driver to tell them that was very bad for them to steal our food and drinks. They said they thought we had left
them there for them as gifts (ya right). Well someone had taken a peek in the coolers on the way there and busted out laughing. We were like, "what is so damned funny?" He said, "they ate ham sandwiches". We all laughed so hard, and told the bus driver to tell the villagers that they had stolen, so they were cursed with eating ham sandwiches. As soon as the bus driver had told the village leader (he already had the engine running) he slammed the door and hit the pedal to the metal, and the villagers ran after us cursing and throwing coke cans at the bus as we hauled out of there pronto! LOL

There's one of my "war stories" from SE Turkey, near the border of Iraq. Enclosed is a pic of me half way up the second mountain, working our way to the ruins at the top.

To All Veterans of the US Armed Forces -
Your sacrifices will never be forgotten.
Sincerely,
Laurie
A Soldiers' Angel



My name is Louis, I believe every day should be Veterans Day. The US soldier of yesterday and today have fought for our freedom and there are not enough people in this country who respect our men and women who have given their life and time to give us the freedom we have today. I think this country needs to open their eyes and see what the men and women have given us, and for thatI thank each and every one of them, my prayers go out to each and evey one of our people who are fighting to day. May God keep you safe and return you home safe.


The following are two essays I wrote; the first in early 2004. The second I wrote in October 2004 while putting together packages. It was inspired by my first Soldiers' Angels
adoptee, a 1st Cavalry Scout. I've posted them before, but thought they were worth a repost for Veteran's Day. --Pam

Why I love a Man in Uniform
From the way people say it, you'd think it was just one of those guaranteed things in life. The sun comes up in the morning, grass is green, and women love a man in uniform. Somewhere along the line, women just developed this affinity for fighting men. I don't profess to know what lies in the depths of our evolutionary process, but I do know why I love them. And of course now, like never before, there are women in uniform. And I love them too. The reasons seem obvious to me, but, sadly are so often overlooked as to leave me dumbfounded. Allow me to explain...

I love them because they are brave.
They stand in front of enemies I will never have to face, and say "This is the line. You go no further than here." They face untold challenges and trials, and keep doing their jobs. They face gunfire, and mortars, and minefields, and RPG fire, and IEDs, and still they are there.

I love them because they have honor.
They say "Ma'am" and "Sir." They salute their superiors. Even in the horror of war, they do not sink to the level of the enemy. They do not drive bombs loaded with explosives into crowded markets. They do not fly planes full of innocent people into buildings. They do not drag bodies through the streets. In fact, they try to save a wounded enemy's life as zealously as they would a comrade's. They wear the flag of the United States of America with pride, and take seriously their status as representatives and protectors of our country.

I love them because they are ordinary, and yet so extraordinary; they are heroes.
They are the sons and daughters, brothers and sisters, mothers and fathers of everyday people like me. And yet, they charge up hills, single-handedly killing snipers, silencing machine gun nests, and capturing enemy positions (2nd Lt. Ernest Childers, US Army, Oliveto, Italy, 1943). They voluntarily go into almost certain death to protect wounded comrades (Master Sgt. Gary Gordon, and Sgt. First Class Randall Shughart, US Army, Mogadishu, Somalia 1993). They show the enemy that they would rather die than give in, thereby inspiring other POW's, and convincing their captors to become more civilized in their treatment (Then-Captain James B. Stockdale, US Navy, Vietnam, 1969). They steer vulnerable boats through blistering enemy fire to rescue Marines pinned down on a beach (Signalman 1st Class Douglas Munro, USCG, Guadalcanal, 1942). They race through enemy terrain to save a wounded fellow soldier, shield him from grenades, and literally take a bullet for him (Pvt. 1st Class Oscar P. Austin, USMC, Vietnam, 1969). They make me believe that even I could make a difference.

There is something that happens to an ordinary person when they become a member of our Armed forces. They become a protector, a role model, a hero. And yes, there are occasions when that mortality, that inherent weakness of all humans, is visible. There are unpleasant incidents that occur so rarely as to be shocking, judged through the lens of haughty superiority so unfortunately common to those of us who will never understand what it means to be in the middle of combat. They are vilified for occasionally reacting to what the critics will never have to face, and yet, almost universally, they say nothing. Despite the cries of "baby killer" and "criminal," and all the other darts thrown, they say nothing to return the enmity, nothing to return the caustic criticism of their outraged countrymen. Inexplicably, they continue to fight for our right to greet their efforts with disdain and hatred. I love them because even in the worst of circumstances, they remain Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines.

I believe that they deserve gratitude, as well as latitude. I believe that they deserve our love, and the good judgment to keep our mouths firmly clamped shut when there is opportunity to give harsh commentary on something we will never understand. I believe that when they cross the line, they deserve to be judged by those who do understand, not taunted and demonized by those who never will. I believe that they deserve parades and celebration when they return from war, and when they return from peacetime activity. I believe they deserve yellow ribbons carefully tied around trees, letters and packages sent from people they don't know through groups formed solely to support them. I believe they deserve signs in windows, on cars, on billboards, proclaiming our pride in each and every one of them. I believe that they have bought this with their blood, the sacrifice of life, and limb, the forfeiture of years meant to be spent watching children grow up and holidays meant to be spent with family. I believe we owe them more than we will ever be able to repay, but that we all have a duty to try. I believe we have an obligation to say "Thank You," at least once, in whatever way we choose.

And whatever branch they are in, wherever they serve, whoever they are, I love them. They are the best of us. They are the reason we remain free, the reason we sleep without fear of invasion. They are Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines. And let's face it; they do look darned good in those uniforms...


Things My Soldier Taught Me:
He taught me to speak up:
This may come as a complete surprise to those of you who've had any contact with me on the Boards, via email, or in PM's (and now on the blog), but I used to be incredibly shy. In recent years, I've gotten better. Now I'm pretty much shameless. I regularly approach people to sign the message book I'm putting together for my Soldier. I thank Soldiers I see. Recently, I sent out a slew of letters requesting donations for Operation Santa. And I've had more than one discussion with people who felt the need to be anti-war, usually centering around anything anti-troop. I've learned to speak my mind without hesitation, to let them know exactly what I think of the brave men and women who serve this country, who protect people like me. I don't mind folks being against the war, although I personally don't share that point of view, but I cannot abide being anti-troop. I used to just shake my head and stay angry for a while, but not say much. Now, I make it known right away where I stand. My office boasts an Iraqi bill in an acrylic frame, sent to me by my Soldier. It boasts a picture of my Soldier and two of his comrades. My car has yellow ribbons, as does my motorcycle. My motorcycle also has a POW sticker, and one that says "In memory of all of those who did not return from Viet Nam." And my yard has yellow ribbons, American flag ribbons, and an American flag. There's an Army flag in the front window of my house. There's a POW / MIA flag on my garage door. And I am rarely seen leaving my house without my 1st Cavalry Division baseball cap on.

He taught me gratitude:
I have always been supportive of our troops, no matter what they're doing. I have always had an immense amount of respect for the people who put themselves in harm's way so that I will never have to. But in my contact with the wonderful people serving in our Armed Forces, I have learned a further, immeasurable amount of gratitude. When my Soldier writes to me of the things he's been doing, of the things he's seen, I am stunned by the magnitude of what they all do. A few packages and letters can never express my thanks. But it's something, I suppose, and right now it's all I have. And I will continue to spend every spare moment I have trying to repay the debt I owe.I appreciate more each day the gifts that life has given me. I have a roof over my head, food on my table, a wonderful husband, and live in a country where I can speak my mind, where I can vote, where I can leave my house without fear of persecution, and worship as I choose. And I have the ability to take all of that for granted if I choose, thanks to the men and women who have fought and died to give me that.

He taught me humility:
It is an amazingly humbling thing to realize what our service members do for us. Whenever I start to take myself too seriously, I think about what these brave people do in one day, and it just stuns me. I am proud of my accomplishments, but I also know what a real hero is.

He taught me perspective:
I'm Irish and Scottish, and well, I can have a bit of a temper. When my husband backed my car into something several months ago, the potential was there for a grade-A dressing down. Granted, I was angry. But I'd just gotten a letter the day before from my Soldier, talking about the things that had gone on with his unit. I was starting in on my tirade, when it hit me. I just looked at my husband and said, "You know what? I'm not happy about this. I'm pretty annoyed. But in the grand scheme of things, this isn't that big a deal. You're here with me, instead of in Iraq. And the car's just a thing." And that was it. Anger gone.And three weeks ago, I was involved in what could have been a devastating car accident. I walked away, thanks to good old American engineering, an airbag, and a bit of luck. The car had a great deal of damage, and my husband was a little irritated that they didn't total the car. Me? I said, "I could have been killed. I'm bruised, sore, but otherwise fine. Worst case scenario, I get my car repaired. The way I see it, I'm ok, the car's just a car, and the rest of it's just gravy. "With every "bad day" I have, my reaction to it is tempered by the knowledge of what a bad day really is. A bad day is when a friend of yours is killed in action, or wounded. A bad day is a car bombing, an IED, a firefight. A bad day is getting shot at. Any day that you have a job, you have a family, you have a roof over your head, food on the table, and no one's shooting at you, is NOT a bad day.

He taught me who I am:
I am a proud American. I believe in the values of our country, in our rights, in our freedoms. I am a caring person. I am a loving wife. I am honored to be called a friend by one of the finest people it has been my privilege to know; a Staff Sergeant in the United States Army. I am funny. I am creative. I make Soldiers and Marines laugh in the middle of a bad day. I am thanked by people for whom I do not have the words to express enough gratitude. At the end of my life, I will be able to say that in some small way, I made a difference somewhere along the line.I am a Soldiers' Angel.


To my grandfathers, Richard and John, to my step-grandfather Dick, to my grandfather-in-law Joseph, to my father-in-law Joe, to my stepfather Bob, to my former adoptees (now safely home) Christian and Mike F., to my adoptees Clif and Henry, to my epal Mike S., to Juan, to Cisco, to Gil, to Emily, to Derrick, to Mike R., and to all my "unofficials" along the way, to all I've been privileged to meet through the Letter Writing Team, to Jeff P., to all the milbloggers who have informed and inspired, and to all who have served, currently serve, and will serve - Thank you.





Veteran's Day Links:

Families Forever
Butlerwebs.com

America Supports You
Department of Veterans' Affairs
Wikipedia




Veteran's Day Facts:
(from U.S. Census Bureau - Veteran's Day)
Veterans Day originated as “Armistice Day” on Nov. 11, 1918. Its purpose: to commemorate the end of World War I. First proclaimed by Congress in 1926, and each year thereafter, Armistice Day became “Veterans Day” in 1954 as a result of legislation signed by President Dwight D. Eisenhower. The name was changed to honor all who served the nation in wars or conflicts. Veterans Day has been observed annually on this date since 1978, except for a brief period when it was celebrated on the fourth Monday of October.

24.5 million
The number of military veterans in the United States.
(From the upcoming Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2006.)

1.7 million
The number of veterans who are women.
(From the upcoming Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2006.)

9.5 million
The number of veterans who are age 65 or older.
(From the upcoming Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2006.)

2.3 million
The number of black veterans. Additionally, 1.1 million veterans are Hispanic; 276,000 are Asian; 185,000 are American Indian or Alaska native; and 25,000 are native Hawaiian and other Pacific islander. (The numbers for blacks, Asians, American Indians and Alaska natives and native Hawaiians and other Pacific islanders cover only those reporting a single race.) (From the AmericanFactFinder.)

8.2 million
Number of Vietnam-era veterans. More than 30 percent of all veterans served in Vietnam, the largest share of any period of service. The next largest share of wartime veterans, 3.9 million or fewer than 20 percent, served during World War II.
(From the upcoming Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2006.)

16%
Percentage of Persian Gulf War veterans who are women. In contrast, women account for 5 percent of World War II vets, 3 percent of Vietnam vets and 2 percent of Korean War vets. (From the upcoming Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2006.)

432,000
Number of veterans who served during both the Vietnam era and in the Gulf War.

In addition,
383,000 veterans served during both the Korean War and the Vietnam conflict.

107,000 served during three periods: World War II, the Korean War and the
Vietnam conflict.

376,000 served in World War II and the Korean War.
(Source: AmericanFactFinder.)

6
Number of states with 1 million or more veterans. These states are California (2.3 million), Florida (1.8 million), Texas (1.7 million), New York (1.2 million), Pennsylvania (1.1 million) and Ohio (1.1 million).
(From the upcoming Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2006.)

$22.4 billion
Aggregate amount of money received annually by the 2.6 million veterans receiving compensation for service-connected disabilities.
(From the upcoming Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2006.)

$59.6 billion
Total amount of federal government spending for veterans benefits programs in fiscal year 2004. (From the upcoming Statistical Abstract of the United States: 2006.)


Graphics in this post courtesy of:

Please trackback your Veteran's Day post, or link any great sites you've found in the comments section!

UPDATES:
Additional Links (to be added as I find them):

ROFASix: "A Tribute to the Greatest Generation"

Argghhh!: Veterans' Day 2005

Stop the ACLU: Veteran's Day Open Trackbacks

Michelle Malkin: Veteran's Day

Fuzzilicious Thinking: Veterans' Day Gets Personal

And don't forget to check the trackbacks for other great Veteran's Day posts!

NOTE: edited 11/11/05 to fix formatting and other errors.
|

nocashfortrash.org