IRAQ WAR TODAY
Keep Your Helmet On!




Be A Part of a Tribute to Fallen Heroes - Help Build the Fallen Soldiers' Bike
Help support the families of our deployed Heroes - Visit Soldiers' Angels' Operation Outreach
Help Our Heroes Help Others - Click Here to visit SOS: KIDS
Nominate your Hero for IWT's "Hero of the Month" - click here for details!
Search Iraq War Today only

Friday, November 18, 2005

A New Monthly Feature - Where am I?

I travel once a month for business - if you remember, last time I was on the road, I posted some pictures from Pearl Harbor.

This month, I'm about spittin' distance from another military installation.

So - divinely inspired here, I've come up with a new game. Each month, while I'm on the road, I'll post about a place that I'm at, and you guess where I am.

Winner this month gets a 100-minute phone card donated in their name to a Hero through Operation Phone Home. If the winner is a deployed servicemember, I'll send you the phone card.

Ready?
I'm within 10 miles of a military installation that approved by the War Department in 1853. Troops from here used to guard and patrol the Santa Fe Trail. The base is home to a number of units, including the 24th Transportation Company, who just returned from Iraq earlier this week (Welcome Home, all!). It also has a Cavalry Museum.

I'm not at the base - I'm actually in a town that boasts Heritage Park, which has this state's Vietnam War Memorial (pictured below), a Civil War arch, and a fountain that shoots water 12 feet in the air. There are signs all over the place expressing their support for the troops, and welcoming their returning heroes home.



So Where Am I? (I'll take either the name of the nearby military base, or the name of the town I'm in).

WE HAVE A WINNER: Margaret correctly identified Fort Riley, in Kansas, as the military base in question. I'm actually in Junction City, not far away. Good job, Margaret!
|

nocashfortrash.org