IRAQ WAR TODAY
Keep Your Helmet On!




Be A Part of a Tribute to Fallen Heroes - Help Build the Fallen Soldiers' Bike
Help support the families of our deployed Heroes - Visit Soldiers' Angels' Operation Outreach
Help Our Heroes Help Others - Click Here to visit SOS: KIDS
Nominate your Hero for IWT's "Hero of the Month" - click here for details!
Search Iraq War Today only

Thursday, November 10, 2005

Happy Birthday to the U.S. Marine Corps!


This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. Without me my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than the enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will. My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit.

My rifle is human, even as I am human, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strengths, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other.

Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy.
-- USMC Rifleman's Creed
On this day in 1775, the Continental Congress resolved that:

"two Battalions of Marines be raised consisting of one Colonel, two lieutenant Colonels, two Majors & Officers as usual in other regiments, that they consist of an equal number of privates with other battalions; that particular care be taken that no person be appointed to office or inlisted into said Battalions, but such as are good seamen, or so acquainted with maritime affairs as to be able to serve to advantage by sea, when required. That they be inlisted and commissioned for and during the present war between Great Britain and the colonies, unless dismissed by order of Congress. That they be distinguished by the names of the first & second battalions of American Marines, and that they be considered a part of the number, which the continental Army before Boston is ordered to consist of."
And thus the Marine Corps was born. From their early days of sharpshooting from ship rigging, they have grown into arguably the most feared and formidable military force the world has ever known. But it wasn't until General Lejeune came along that the Marine Corps' birthday became a big event. In 1921 the General issued Marine Corps Order No. 47 - his Birthday Message

"On November 10, 1775, a Corps of Marines was created by a resolution of the Continental Congress. Since that date, many thousand men have borne the name Marine. In memory of them, it is fitting that we who are Marines should commemorate the Birthday of our Corps by calling to mind the glories of its long and illustrious history.

The record of our Corps is one which will bear comparison with that of the most famous military organizations in the world's history. During 90 of the 146 years of it's existence the Marine Corps has been in action against the nations foes. From the battle of Trenton to the Argonne. Marines have won foremost honors in war, and in the long eras of tranquility at home. Generation after generation of Marines have grown gray in war in both hemispheres and in every corner of the seven seas that our country and its citizens might enjoy peace and security.

In every battle and skirmish since the birth of our Corps Marines have acquitted themselves with the greatest distinction, winning new honors on each occasion until the term Marine has come to signify all that is highest in military efficiency and soldierly virtue.

This high name of distinction and soldierly repute we who are Marines today have received from those who preceded us in the Corps. With it we also received from them the eternal spirit which has animated our Corps from generation to generation and has been the distinguishing mark of the Marines in every age. So long as that spirit continues to flourish Marines will be found equal to every emergency in the future as they have been in the past, and the men of our nation will regard us as worthy successors to the long line of illustrious men who have served as "Soldiers of the Sea" since the founding of the Corps."
And since then, on this day, United States Marines have celebrated the birth of their beloved Corps. Celebrations include a Marine Corps Ball, mock battles, and ceremonies.

These are my recruits. I will train them to the best of my ability. I will develop them into smartly disciplined, physically fit, basically trained Marines, thoroughly indoctrinated in love of Corps and country. I will demand of them, and demonstrate by my own example, the highest standards of personal conduct, morality, and professional skill.
-- USMC Drill Instructor's Creed

They have built an incredible legacy. From Tun Tavern to Fallujah, the USMC has left its mark worldwide, wherever Marine boots met ground, and on the waters in between. From the War of 1812, to Harper's Ferry; from Belleau Wood to Blanc Mont Ridge; from Guadalcanal, Wake Island, and Iwo Jima to Khe Sanh, from Desert Storm to Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom....they have been there.

They told (us) to open up the Embassy, or "we'll blow you away." And then they looked up and saw the Marines on the roof with these really big guns, and they said in Somali, "Igaralli ahow," which means "Excuse me, I didn't mean it, my mistake."
-- Karen Aquilar, in the U.S. Embassy; Mogadishu, Somalia, 1991

And so, today, I wish a very Happy Birthday to the USMC. In honor of the day, I'm making a donation to the Project Valour-IT Marine Team.

Semper Fidelis.


USMC Birthday Links:
USMC Website
Heritage Press International - lots of great information; quotes, slogans, history, and traditions
Marine Corps Birthday Bullets at DC Military - Key birthday events
USMC History and Museums Division
Marine Corps History Sites - from Scuttlebutt & Small Chow
USMC Quotes

The USMC War Memorial
National Iwo Jima Memorial (in CT - been there)
BlackFive
Doc in the Box (Hat Tip Mudville Gazette)



If you've got a Marine Corps Birthday post, please trackback so we can find you!



graphics in this post courtesy of Doug Kidd

|

nocashfortrash.org