IRAQ WAR TODAY
Keep Your Helmet On!




Be A Part of a Tribute to Fallen Heroes - Help Build the Fallen Soldiers' Bike
Help support the families of our deployed Heroes - Visit Soldiers' Angels' Operation Outreach
Help Our Heroes Help Others - Click Here to visit SOS: KIDS
Nominate your Hero for IWT's "Hero of the Month" - click here for details!
Search Iraq War Today only

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Soles for Souls

02 August 2005

To: Family, Friends and Friends of Friends

Re: SOLES FOR SOULS

First and foremost, I want to say thank you to all who have contributed to my Vision and Goal. Sometime ago, I sent out an email asking for help to receive donations of shoes for the children of Iraq. To my surprise, I received an over whelming response. It was such a huge response that I felt I had to give the program a name, henceforth, SOLES FOR SOULS. Thanks to the modern technology of email, my Vision and request for help has reached across the United States. I’ve received responses and packages from California, Texas, Ohio, Kentucky, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Louisiana.

Local city organizations such as YUM (Corporate Headquarters for KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, Long John Silvers), CURVES, city School Boards, and WAL-MART have agreed to become drop off locations or are considering becoming one. Others have started local drives at their place of employment.

One day while on patrol, I asked myself, what, if anything is being done for the children, whom in reality some will become the leaders of this country. We all ask the questions, point the blame, but rarely do we come up with the answers. Maybe it’s because we’re afraid we’ll make a difference or we’re waiting for someone else to do the work. Is it work?!?! Let me be the first to tell you…I’m in Iraq, running missions daily, sometimes twice a day, and it’s always a Monday because you never know when you’re going to have a day off…YES, IT’S WORK!!!

But let me also tell you, the amount of work compared to the joy, laughter, smiles, and love one receives from a child from the simple gratitude of someone caring, DOESN’T compare. Some say one person can make a difference and some say one can not. I’d like to meet those who say one can not. I’d have no problem telling them that they are there own fools. It all starts with one and the rest is done and let me tell you…it truly is a lot of fun.



My Vision:
Through the combined efforts of family, friends, and several organizations and the support of Delta Company 1-184th INF., each village and home with in our sector will be visited and a minimum of one pair of shoes will be given to each child.

My Goal:
To network with as many people as possible to receive the amount of donations required to achieve this task.


During the month of August, the temperature reaches a maximum of 140 degrees. Children, especially between the ages of 1-5 years old are observed walking and/or running, barefoot, on dirt and/or asphalt roads. Help me show the children of Iraq that someone does care. Whether or not you’re for the war or you like or dislike the president, as you’ve heard many many times, SUPPORT THE TROOPS. By donating a pair of shoes /sandals, you ARE Supporting The Troops by supporting SGT. Zepeda’s Vision and helping me achieve my Goal.

Help me help the children with a COMFORTABLE step in the right direction. Just like they say every vote counts, so does each pair of SOLES (for SOULS).

Something to ponder:

If every person was to place a single pair of shoes in a basket, there would never be a human being to ever have to walk the earth barefoot.

A single pair of shoes/sandals…less then the price of a Starbucks coffee, less then the price of an alcoholic drink at a bar.


I ask for your support and I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

SGT ZEPEDA
OIF 2005
BAGHDAD, IRAQ

Soldiers' Angels has joined the ranks of the organizations helping the Sgt. reach his goal. With winter approaching, he will need tennis shoes as well as sandals. He says that all sizes are needed, but the age group in greatest need at the moment is young teenagers.

I'll be sending a box off this week, Sgt.

If you would like to help with "Soles for Souls," please email me


UPDATE: Sgt. Zepeda has given permission to post his contact information. Here it is:

SGT Gilbert Zepeda
Co. D 1-184th INF
FOB Falcon
APO AE 09364

Soles4Souls@gmail.com


|

nocashfortrash.org