IRAQ WAR TODAY
Keep Your Helmet On!




Be A Part of a Tribute to Fallen Heroes - Help Build the Fallen Soldiers' Bike
Help support the families of our deployed Heroes - Visit Soldiers' Angels' Operation Outreach
Help Our Heroes Help Others - Click Here to visit SOS: KIDS
Nominate your Hero for IWT's "Hero of the Month" - click here for details!
Search Iraq War Today only

Friday, May 13, 2005

II MEF Marine chooses Corps over college

from Marine Corps News



Lance Cpl. Bryan T. Orwig, radio operator, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Headquarters Group, II MEF (FWD), works on a radio at Pumphouse Barney May 4. Orwig, who is serving temporary additional duty orders with II MHG, is originally from 8th Communication Battalion.

Photo by: Lance Cpl. Evan M. Eagan


Submitted by: II Marine Expeditionary Force (FWD)
Story by: Lance Cpl. Evan M. Eagan

FALLUJAH, Iraq (May 11, 2005) -- After experiencing the college life for a short time while attending a technical school in Winter Park, Fla., a communications Marine, with S-6, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Headquarters Group, II MEF (FWD) chose to take a different path. This path has led him to the Marine Corps and his first deployment to Iraq.

“I joined because I was sick of spending my parents money,” said Lance Cpl. Bryan T. Orwig, a 19-year-old Highland, Md., native. “I dropped out of Full Sail, a tech school in Florida where I was learning C++ programming. I was doing video game design. I went for about six months and was partying a lot and got distracted and eventually ended up going back home.”

After returning home, Orwig realized he needed to do something with his life besides living under his parents roof.

“After the first 15 days at home I decided I didn’t want to stick around there and live off my parents,” he said. “I got in contact with a Marine Corps recruiter and within a week I was at Parris Island recruit depot.”

With a history of military service in his family, choosing to join the Marine Corps was not a tough decision.

“My grandpa was a truck driver in the Army during World War II and my step-dad was in the Air Force,” he said. “My parents were very happy that I joined because they could see I was trying to better myself.”

Orwig, who deployed with S-6, is serving temporary additional duty orders from his original unit, 8th Communication Battalion, where he works as a radio operator.

“I’m working at S-6 with some Marines that got TAD orders also,” said Orwig. “I really enjoy it out here. I got really close with guys that I came out here with and made some really good friends.”

With S-6, Orwig is still working in the field of communications.

“I maintain connection with other radio units and do cryptographic changeovers,” said Orwig during his latest assignment of doing a cryptographic changeover at Pumphouse Barney. “We also do a lot of convoys. We do about three a week. We go to Baghdad on supply runs and drop off tractor trailers and bring some back with us.”

Being in Iraq has helped Orwig become more proficient in his military occupational specialty because of the fast paced environment, he said.

“It’s really hands on out here,” he said. “I learned pretty much everything I know about my MOS by being out here in Iraq.”

When he gets out in 2007, Orwig said he may decide to give technical college another shot or use his Marine Corps training and join the police force.

“When I get out I want to do something in law enforcement,” Orwig said. “If I do then I will try to go SWAT [special weapons and tactics] after serving as a police officer for five years. If I don’t do that then I will go back to school at Full Sail to be a video game programmer.”

EDITOR’S NOTE
For more information about this article, please send an e-mail to cepaowo@cemnf-wiraq.usmc.mil
|

nocashfortrash.org