IRAQ WAR TODAY
Keep Your Helmet On!




Be A Part of a Tribute to Fallen Heroes - Help Build the Fallen Soldiers' Bike
Help support the families of our deployed Heroes - Visit Soldiers' Angels' Operation Outreach
Help Our Heroes Help Others - Click Here to visit SOS: KIDS
Nominate your Hero for IWT's "Hero of the Month" - click here for details!
Search Iraq War Today only

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Bicycle Ride to Support Our Troops

John Demerjian is beginning a very special cycling tour tomorrow, expecting to finish in September. He is going to ride from South Carolina to Canada, and back again - a 5,000 mile ride.

The goal of the bicycle trip is to get pledges for care packages and adoptions for Soldiers’ Angels. He'll be wearing ride jerseys silkscreened with the Soldiers' Angels logo. John will be sending updates from the road as often as possible. Here’s a little info from him about the tour:

The basic purpose is to get pledges for CARE packages. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less, except that I'm going to get some much needed exercise along the way.

My bicycle route is RT 82 across Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Arkansas to Texarkana, Arkansas. At Texarkana, I'll take RT 71 north until I get to Missouri. At Missouri, I'm going over to Pittsburg, Kansas, and north to Fort Scott, Kansas. Once I leave Fort Scott, I'm going west to pick up RT 81 which goes north to York, Nebraska.

At York, I'll head due east to Columbus, Ohio. After Columbus, I'll turn north toward Sandusky, Ohio, which is on the southern shore of Lake Erie.

Once in Sandusky, I'll take the lake ferry across Lake Erie to Ontario, Canada, at Leamington.
At Leamington, I'll cycle RT 3 to Niagara Falls. Then I bicycle the short way to Rochester, New York, where I'll turn south. I'll cycle from Rochester, New York, to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on mostly on RT 309.

Once in Philadelphia, I cycle to Cape May, New Jersey, and catch the ferry to Lewes, Delaware. Then I'll come down the Del-Mar-VA peninsula to Virginia Beach.

And once I've gotten to Delaware, I'll be on the Atlantic Ocean. I'll cycle due south through the Outer Banks of North Carolia and back to St. George, South Carolina.

The route is all by secondary roads. Bicycle cargo weighs in at 60 lbs. My pace will be 50-65 miles per day. Travel will solely be self-contained, using my tent with the only exception being when staying with friends.

If you’re anywhere along John’s route, be sure to say hello. And if you’re interested in making a pledge, or adopting a soldier, be sure and let him know!
|

nocashfortrash.org