IRAQ WAR TODAY
Keep Your Helmet On!




Be A Part of a Tribute to Fallen Heroes - Help Build the Fallen Soldiers' Bike
Help support the families of our deployed Heroes - Visit Soldiers' Angels' Operation Outreach
Help Our Heroes Help Others - Click Here to visit SOS: KIDS
Nominate your Hero for IWT's "Hero of the Month" - click here for details!
Search Iraq War Today only

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

This is an excerpt of an email received from a Soldier who was an eyewitness to the missile attack on the Green Zone in Baghdad, at the Embassy. Be advised, some of the material contained here is unsettling and graphic, and not for the faint of heart. In some cases, I have removed identifying information to protect the identity of our heroes in the field, and so as not to identify casualties described here. It is posted here not for shock value, but as an example of what our heroes risk to protect us, and of the bravery they continue to display at every turn. It is also posted as an example of the reason that terrorism must be dealt with.

Hi Everyone,
I am sure by now you have heard about the Embassy (Palace) attack last night on the news...I am still pretty shaken up, but I am okay.

Last night after dinner in the palace I decided to use the DSN phones in the palace to call home. I had just gotten off the phone. I was helping someone use the DSN phone when I heard the missile hit the palace. It was very loud. I immediately put on my helmet and locked and loaded my weapons. Everyone just kinda stood around and didn't know what to do. I went out in the hallway to see if any of my folks were still at the table that we were eating ate. No one was there. I announced that I was a nurse and if anyone needed my help. People said yes and took me to the scene. It was just next store to where I was when I was on the phone. Alarms were going off and the smoke was awful. I was trying to cover my nose and mouth with my hand. At the scene there was a woman on her abdomen with both legs blown off, clothes blown off, her buttocks were exposed. I asked the medic if she was alive. He told me that she was breathing and had a heart rate. They had already put tourniquets on her stumps to stop bleeding. She didn't look alive to me. I told the medic to check for a pulse again. He checked and there wasn't one. She was a civilian. The medic stayed with her while he waited for a body bag. I moved on looking for more casualties. There was debris everywhere. Everyone kept telling me that the various areas were clear, so I went up the second floor to look for casualties. I yelled down the hallways asking if the areas were all clear. They kept saying yes, so I went back down stairs. I went back to the original scene. There were a lot of people standing around. I told everyone to stay out unless they were medical because the smoke was real bad. Someone yelled at me saying that they found another body. He, male ---------- already pronounced dead. I assisted with placing him in a body bag. It was awful.... When we laid him on top of the body bag his right side of his head was opened with brain matter all over the place. We zipped up the bag and carried him to a holding area. He was so heavy, I didn't think I was going to be able to make it to the holding area, but I made it. People were asking me for the names of the KIAs (Killed in Action). I walked over to the Medical Clinic in the palace. There was a male Army officer with blood on his face, hands, and clothing. I introduced myself and asked him if he was okay. I stayed with him until he was transported via ambulance to the hospital. I washed all the blood off of him. I cut his brown T-shirt off. It was destroyed anyway. I redressed his head wound. It was still bleeding so I had him apply pressure. He had an abrasion on his forehead. I cleaned it up and put a dressing on it. He was very freaked out. I stayed with him to help calm him down. An IV was inserted in him to give him fluid because of his blood loss. He was also given antibiotics. I was going to go to the hospital with him because I felt bad that he was all alone. I didn't because I was worried that I wasn't going to get back to the palace.

I walked back to the dining facility. I was alone and scared. I didn't want to walk back to my trailer by myself. In came walking 3 personnel from my office. They had just come from the hospital. They went there to take care of some business. They didn't really know what had happened. I was happy to see them and they were happy to see me. I wasn't accounted for. They were worried about me because they knew that I was on the south end of the palace making a call when the missile hit. The missile hit on the south end. I then ran into my room-mate and C------'s friend, M------. They saw that I was very shaken up. They got me tea and sat down with me. My roommate then walked me over to her office so I could call home. I wanted to call D----- to let him know that I was okay, because I knew that he would see the attack on the news and would be worried. We talked to the NATO guys for a while. They were worried about me too. We finally walked back to our trailer. I slept okay. I got up around 0530. I went and did some laundry and then I worked out at the gym. When I got to the Health Affairs Office I went to the hospital to check on the male officer that suffered the head wound. I wanted to make sure that he was okay. He was fine. He had several staples put in the back of his head where his injury was. His head was really hurting him. His hearing still wasn't back to normal, but he was very happy to be alive. A general was visiting him and other casualties. He thanked me for helping last night. When I got back to the Health Affairs Office I was told that General ------- wanted to see me. I went to his office. He wanted to make sure that I was okay. He already knew that I was already involved in the bombing incident. He thanked me for being a soldier and for using my nursing skills. He introduced me to Psych officer. He wanted me to meet him in case I need to talk to him in a couple of days. I have his card and I will see him if I need to.

Col A----- also spoke to me. She told me that I am a true soldier, because the first thing I did was put on my helmet and locked and loaded my weapon. She also encouraged me to speak to a psych person. Her goal is for all of us to return home alive and mentally intact.

I am sorry if this email frightens you...I have to express myself, I can't hold it all in or I will go crazy. Please continue to pray for me. I want to come home safely...
|

nocashfortrash.org