IRAQ WAR TODAY
Keep Your Helmet On!




Be A Part of a Tribute to Fallen Heroes - Help Build the Fallen Soldiers' Bike
Help support the families of our deployed Heroes - Visit Soldiers' Angels' Operation Outreach
Help Our Heroes Help Others - Click Here to visit SOS: KIDS
Nominate your Hero for IWT's "Hero of the Month" - click here for details!
Search Iraq War Today only

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

My Two Cents...Nothingness

“I don’t know what we’re even over there for anymore. They announced that the war ended a long time ago, so what are we there for? – Nothing.” It isn’t the response I usually get when I’m talking about why I have a multitude of Priority boxes to mail, so I was stunned momentarily. We’re there for nothing? Fortunately, I’m a bit of a smart-aleck, so I recovered. “Well, that’s interesting, because all of the troops I’ve talked to over there say they’re there protecting you and me.”

See, it isn’t about what I believe, or what you believe, about the war. It’s about what the Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines believe. Men and women who fought and died gave us the right to speak our mind, yes, but just because you CAN do a thing, doesn’t mean you should. And, by the way, you also have the right to keep your mouth shut, and to show some respect.

The danger in the people who say “I don’t support the war, but I support the troops” is that they often come from the same mindset as the Viet Nam War protesters, who started by saying that they didn’t want the war because they supported the troops, and wanted them home. Funny thing about that is that these same people were making phone calls to the parents of fallen heroes, saying “I’m glad your son was killed by the honorable Viet Cong.” And, when they got what they wanted, and the troops came home, these people were doing things like spitting on returning troops, and throwing things at them. Ask a Viet Nam Vet about that sometime. Doesn’t seem that supportive to me.

I’ve read the words of a Marine who said, in paraphrase, “you can’t support the troops without supporting the mission.” I don’t know if that’s true, but it doesn’t matter. If that’s what one of our heroes believes, it’s worthy of note. I don’t pretend to be objective. I’m not. I have some definite views about the war, and some definite viewpoints on how it’s being run. But since no one’s called me to run the thing yet, I tend to think that maybe I don’t have all the answers.

Do you know the reason it took so long for the U.S. to get into World War II?--People thought that it wasn’t a real concern – that Hitler wasn’t a threat to the U.S. The reason people were against the Civil War?--Why fight a war over slaves – not even legally people at the time? (the war really wasn’t about slavery per se, but that’s another discussion) Against the American Revolution?--Was England treating the colonies like second class citizens REALLY important enough to go to war? It would be nice if war didn’t need to happen; if we all could just work things out in a civilized manner. But it ain’t gonna happen. It just isn’t human nature. And some things ARE worth going to war for. The American Revolution? YES! The Civil War? YES! World War II? YES! It is only historically, perhaps, that we have the ability to judge “worth.” Remember that no one knows what Saddam was planning. And apparently we’ll never know exactly what he had for WMD’s. I’m thinking maybe that’s a good thing, ‘cause I’m not exactly sure how we would have found out….

You’ve got a whole group of people now talking about Abu Ghraib, and the Gitmo detainees, telling me that I should be appalled, offended, putting on the war paint and marching on Washington. But what about the six Louisiana National Guardsmen -- and all the others -- killed because of some terrorist? What about my friend the Cav Scout, who has to go out day after day on a road where IED’s are as prevalent as slick spots on a New England road in January? What about the countless innocent civilians beheaded on video because of some distorted, psychotic religious mania (and please note, I criticize the mania, not the religion). I’ve seen a few of those videos. They are without a doubt the most horrific, disturbing, disgusting things I’ve ever seen. And THESE are the people I’m supposed to feel sorry for? These are the people I’m supposed to understand? Let me tell you, I hope I never understand the mentality that can allow you to do that to another human being. And let’s not forget, folks, Zarqawi has now renamed his group of psychopaths “Al Qaeda in Iraq.” OK, fine. So now you’re allying yourself directly with the group that perpetrated mass murder on the U.S. Homeland, and I’m supposed to sympathize? I think not. I’m not saying abuse of prisoners should happen. Nor am I saying abuse of detainees, who are NOT prisoners of war, should happen. But the military has procedures for dealing with those concerns, and they’re doing it.

I will save my sympathy, my understanding, and my loyalty for the people defending my freedom, and ensuring that I can sleep safe and sound in my home at night. And I will continue to make that clear to people who want to tell me that these brave folks are over there for “nothing.”

My views are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of Soldiers’ Angels or anyone else for that matter. You are welcome to reprint or repost anything I post as mine, as long as you credit it accordingly. Thank you.

Labels: ,

|

nocashfortrash.org